* Residential Worker
Appleseed Community Mental Health Center has an immediate need for staffing for the Safe Haven Domestic Violence Shelter. Residential workers provide smooth, efficient, and supportive operation of shelter during evening and weekend hours while shelter is occupied. This is an on-call position based on 12 hour shifts. Will provide training in sexual assault and domestic violence and must have the ability to relate effectively with a diverse population.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer 24-hour crisis line and consult with staff on-call as needed.
- Provide direct advocacy services to residential clients including but not limited to crisis intervention, counseling, safety planning, accessing safe shelter, information and referral, and personal advocacy in a positive victim centered manner.
- Effectively implement de-escalation techniques.
- Carryout tasks as assigned by the Shelter Manager and/or Director in order to maintain facility operations.
- Document in client files according to established guidelines during each shift.
- Ensure residents adhere to the Residential Program Guidelines, provide support within established guidelines.
- Ensure safe, secure operation of emergency shelter and transitional houses while on duty.
- Coordinate appropriately the upkeep, maintenance, and organization of shelter facilities and donations while on duty.
- Upkeep of staff living and office area as assigned.
Must be able:
- to work in a non-judgmental manner with individuals of all races, ages, and economic levels who are in crisis situations;
- to handle emergency situations and multiple priorities which necessitate immediate decisions;
- to work calmly and effectively in a stressful environment;
- to maintain professional and ethical boundaries;
- to work as a team player with other staff.
- familiarity with community resources;
- initiative, integrity and strong sense of professionalism;
- ability to have empathy and be an effective active listener;
- a dedicated interest in issues affecting women;
- excellent organizational skills and be self-motivated.
Education: High School Diploma required.
Experience: Prefer at least two years of college with classes in social work, psychology or human service or equivalent work experience with a human service agency.
Specialized knowledge, skills, or abilities:
- Crisis-related and de-escalation skills.
- Knowledge of individual development and behavior and ways of working effectively with adults and children who have emotional problems.
- Ability to conduct individual and family interviews and to use them to identify individual and family problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents, other staff, outside agencies and institutions and the general public.
- Ability to plan and organize work, prepare adequate records and reports, and set priorities.
- Familiarity with Regulations concerning Confidentiality and Regulations concerning Mandated Child Abuse Reporting.
- Ability to understand and implement federal, state and county laws, and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule.
Must have a car available during working hours, carry and maintain automobile insurance that includes a payable liability of $100,000/$300,000, as well as the ability to legally drive a car. Must pass background and driving record checks.
If you are interested in joining our team of professionals, please forward your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please mention "Residential Worker" in the subject line of your email. We look forward to hearing from you. Appleseed Community Mental Health center, Inc. is committed to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people. Employment decisions are made based on each person’s performance, qualifications, and abilities. The Agency does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.