* Corrections Behavioral Health Counselor/Therapist
Appleseed Community Mental Health Center, in collaboration with the county mental health board and correctional system, has an immediate need for a highly skilled full-time mental health individual to join our team. Successful candidate must have excellent communication, networking, and innovative problem solving skills, ability to work as part of a team, as well as strong group facilitation and coordination skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in the ongoing crises assessment, pre-hospitalization screening, de-escalation and therapeutic engagement of clients.
- Provides direct service including social and emotional support, problem solving skills, empathic listening and de-escalation.
- Develops and implements group treatment on topics related behavioral health, substance abuse, and other related topics.
- Coordinates with other professionals and agencies and engages in Consumer advocacy; monitors service delivery and engages in follow-up as needed.
- Provides short-term, face to face didactic interventions to jail inmates.
- Makes recommendations to maintain safety in appropriate collaboration with supervisor and jail staff
- Attends all counseling and agency meetings in order to facilitate an integrated, multidisciplinary team approach to service.
- Maintains compliance with all applicable practice standards and guidelines.
- Maintains client confidentiality and adherence to HIPAA requirements at all times.
- Completes daily progress notes within agency documentation guidelines.
- Completes and submits monthly and bi-annual grant reporting data.
Judgment: Ability to make sound decisions by drawing on professional expertise with minimal negative effects on employee relations and agency goals and results. Capable of providing on-the-spot guidance, de-escalation. Willingness to take responsibility for these decisions.
Interpersonal Relationships: Demonstrates a willingness to cooperate, work and communicate with coworkers, supervisors or outside contacts.
Communication: Effectiveness of expression in individual and group situations. Ability to convey ideas clearly and concisely.
Coordination: Ability to work with others as a team and express individual viewpoint while considering and learning from the input of others. Must be flexible.
Planning and Organization: Establishes appropriate course of action for self and co-workers to accomplish goals; makes proper assignments of personnel and appropriate use of resources. Set realistic target dates.
Adherence to Policies and Procedures: Appropriately interprets and applies agency policies and procedures to job responsibilities.
Orientation Toward Results: Ability to initiate projects, anticipate changes or needs, set new priorities, follow through and meet deadlines
Education: Master’s degree in counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy preferred; Bachelor’s degree required.
Licenses or other required certifications: One or more of the competencies and/or licensures is preferred: social worker (LSW), marriage and family therapist, (MFT) or professional counselor (LPC).
Experience: Strong clinical skills with experience in a corrections or community mental health services.
Specialized knowledge, skills, or abilities: Demonstrated knowledge about mental illness, motivational interviewing, trauma informed care, and de-escalation. Must have strong commitment to client rights. Must have a car available during working hours, carry and maintain automobile insurance that includes a payable liability of $100,000/$300,000, as well as the ability to legally drive a car. Must pass background and driving record checks.
- Competitive compensation
- Medical /dental /vision/basic life insurance
- Generous accrued paid vacation
- 3 personal days
- 8 accrued sick days
- 8 paid holidays
- Retirement match
If you are interested in joining our team of professionals, please forward your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention "Corrections Mental Health Worker" in the subject line of your email. We look forward to hearing from you. Appleseed Community Mental Health center, Inc. is committed to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people. Employment decisions are made based on each person’s performance, qualifications, and abilities. The Agency does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.